Your assignment for Thursday Jan. 20 is the following:
- Set up your WordPress blog.
- Add a biography and photo of yourself to your blog. File bio as a page, not a post. Read about the difference between pages and posts.
- No posts are required for this assignment.
By the start of class on Jan. 20 (unless you have an excused absence)
Your biography should be at least 100 words long. Keep it factual and informative. Make sure it is clean and does not contain grammar or spelling errors. Add links to groups or institutions that you mention.
Insert a photo of yourself into the bio. Use a sharp, clear photo of your head and shoulders. Your face should be visible. If you do not have an acceptable photo, shoot one. Do not use a photo that shows someone else’s arm or head or other distracting elements in the picture. Do not use any party pictures. Use a photo that you would like a potential client or employer to see. See my bio to get an idea of photo size and placement.
In your bio and elsewhere on your blog, please do not use an alias or fake name to identify yourself. Use your real first and last name. That gives more credibility to your stories and your comments than a nickname or an alias.
This assignment is worth five points. You will get points taken off for the following:
- Spelling and grammar errors – 1 point
- Failure to meet biography specifications (word length on biography, using posts instead of pages) – 1 point
- Failure to use real name – 1 point
- Broken links – 1 point
- Failure to file bio as a page
- Unappealing presentation (overlapping text and photos, wrong sized photo in header, etc.) – 1 point
- Name or title that is not appropriate as part of a professional portfolio – 1 point
- Failure to set up your site by the assignment deadline – 5 points (no loss of points if you have an excused absence)