- What is news?
- News vs. features
- Changing nature of news
- Importance of social networking, beat blogging
- The convergence of print, broadcast and online media
Traditional elements of a news story, according to James Glen Stovall, author of Writing for the Mass Media
- The bizarre or unusual
- Currency or buzz factor
- The concept of news – and how we deliver it – is changing.
- The audience is increasingly fragmented, distracted and rushed.
- Speed is important for journalists filing stories online and for print, but so is accuracy and credibility.
Assume the role of a media critic
- Is the media doing a good job covering the news? What news stories are left uncovered?
- What you do differently? What would you write about?
- Where would you find your stories? Who would talk to?
- What publications do you follow?