Organizations that promote freedom of the press
Committee to Protect Journalists
Number of journalists killed since 1982
Reporters without Borders
Press Freedom Index – 2011-12
Report on press freedom in the United States
Knight Center for Journalism in the Americas
Google map showing threats to journalists in Mexico
Society of Professional Journalists
Free Food Fest at Flagler College
Human Rights Watch
- U.S. to host World Press Freedom Day in May 2011. The theme: 21st Century Media: New Frontiers, New Barriers.
In the news:
- Hector Maseda – dissident journalist in Cuba released from prison against his wishes. His wife, Laura Pollan, leads Las Damas de Blanco, a group that was founded by wives, sisters, daughters and other relatives of jailed dissidents, journalists and others.
- Yoani Sanchez – Government blocked her website in Cuba after she rose to fame. Authorities unblocked her blog in February 2011.
- Carmen Aristegui – Mexico – fired after asking Mexican President Felipe Calderon if he had a drinking problem. Rehired in February 2011.
- Georgian journalist shot during live coverage
- Brad Will shooting
- Shootout in Tijuana
- 9 headless bodies found in Tijuana
- Traslado de narcos en Mexico
- Police ‘torture’ videos cause uproar in Mexico
- Journalist shot dead in Russia while in police custody
- Reuters journalist killed in Gaza (sign-in required)