Notes, story ideas, links to local issues and people in the news in northeastern Florida:
- Florida Gov. Rick Scott has ordered drug testing for employees and new hires, Capitol News Service reports. Some rights advocates say Scott is overstepping his authority.
- St. Johns County sheriff’s deputies are investigating the death of a 37-year old jail inmate who died after reportedly falling in her cell (download press release).
- Jacksonville man wears wears t-shirts for a living
- ACLU agreement: The ACLU of Florida reached an agreement with Flagler County school officials over one student’s complaints that classmates and a teacher harassed him for being gay.
- Pros and cons of $500,000 inlet dredging
- Police calls related to Two Hundred Lounge
- Oddities: Capture of 7-foot-3-inch rattlesnake (download press release) continues to generate phone calls to sheriff’s office.
- St. Johns County sheriff’s budget (download overview).
- Drug buy-back program (download press release).
- 911 tape released in killing of repo man
- Casey Anthony updates on Facebook
- Haleigh Cummings message board
- $30,000 reward in Haleigh Cummings case
- Budget cuts could delay May 9 Casey Anthony trial. An Orlando newspaper said the trial could be one of the most expensive criminal trials in Florida history.