In Introduction to Mass Communication class at Flagler College, we discussed box-office bombs on Sept. 23, 2011, and again on Feb. 8, 2012.
Notes from our discussion are below:
Box Office Bombs
Xyzzyx Road (Xyzzyx rhymes with Issac’s)
• Produced in 2006. Opened in only one theater. Highland Village Park Theater in Dallas, Texas.
• Producers rented theater for $1,000
• Movie ran for six days. Only six people went to see it. They paid $5 each. But the director refunded $10 to a make-up artist and her friend. So the total domestic gross was only $20!
• The movie’s budget was reported to be at least $1.2 million. So it lost 99.9985 percent of its production costs.
• Xyxxyx was released internationally – in 23 countries – and did much better, earning $368,000 by the end of 2006. But it was a huge domestic bomb. Continue reading