Today in Intro to Media, we’re going to talk about the future of the news gathering. We’ll discuss about some media organizations’ struggles to stay afloat. We’ll review the qualities needed in the journalism job market today. And we’ll also talk about Narrative Science, a company that is using artificial intelligence to write news stories. Continue reading
Today in Introduction to Mass Communication, we’re doing to talk about social media and future of the news gathering. Links:
- Orange County Register hiring dozens of reporters
- Did Facebook give Democrats the upper hand?
- Bleacher Report
- Knight Foundation
- Pulitzer Center
- Too Young to Wed
Questions for discussion:
- How have digital technology and the Internet disrupted traditional news media organizations?
- How have media organizations responded?
- What is the role of the media in our democracy?
- What is the driving force behind most media organizations?
- Are for-profit business models the best way to gather and distribute news?
- Give some examples of non-profit journalism organizations?
- What are citizen journalists?
Download writing assignment, due Nov. 21.