Today in Intro to Media class we are going to talk about the ever-influential Google.
Beginnings of Google
- Sergey Brin and Larry Page founded the company when they were students at Stanford University
- Began as a research project in 1996
- Incorporated as a private company in 1998
- Went public in 2004
- Based in Mountain View, Calif., home to the so-called “Googleplex.”
- Fortune magazine has rated Google the No. 1 place to work
- Google is the misspelling of the word googol, the number 1 followed by 100 zeros
- The folks at Google even have a sense of humor. Need proof? Search for anagram.
Note: Sources for this page include “What would Google do?” by Jeff Jarvis and “Googled: The End of the World As We Know It” by Ken Auletta.
Google sells itself
- Among the fastest growing companies in the world
- Google operates 70 offices in more than 40 countries
- Didn’t need a marketing campaign
- Only company as visible is probably Coca-Cola
Google’s goal: To change the world
- Google, some experts say, has changed the fundamental architecture of society and industry
- Google encroaches on every media industry
- Google acts without asking for permission Continue reading