Source of photo: ChinaSMACK
Today in Intro to Media, we’re going to talk about movie blockbusters and bombs. The following are the current box-office record holders, according to Box Office Mojo:
- DOMESTIC: Avatar – $760,507,625
- ADJUSTED FOR INFLATION: Gone with the Wind – $1,687,072,627
- WORLDWIDE: Avatar – $2,782,275,172
- RATED R: Passion of the Christ – $370,782,930
- RATED PG-13: Avatar – $760,507,625
- RATED PG: The Phantom Menace – $474,544,677
- RATED G: Lion King – $422,783,777
- RATED NC-17: Showgirls – $20,350,754
Avatar: Hollywood’s Manhattan Project
- Criticism of plot
- Impact on movie industry
Before Avatar. Star Wars.
- Young people were the driving force behind Star Wars’ huge success in 1977
- The first five Star Wars movies generated $9 billion in merchandising
- That was far above the world box-office revenues of $3.4 billion Continue reading
David Kirkpatrick on Thursday spoke to students at Flagler College in St. Augustine, Fla. His credentials are impressive. An email announcing his visit said:
Mr. Kirkpatrick was formerly President of the Motion Picture Group of Paramount Pictures as well as President of Production of both Walt Disney Pictures and Touchstone Pictures. He was involved with films that have grossed over $10 billion dollars in worldwide box office. They include memorable pictures such as Terms Of Endearment, Forrest Gump, Honey I Shrunk The Kids, Ghost, Pretty Woman as well as the highly successful franchises of Indiana Jones, Star Trek, The Jack Ryan/Tom Clancy movies, Friday the 13th, Beverly Hills Cop, Wayne’s World, and the first eight Eddie Murphy comedies. He has won both an Emmy and a Golden Globe award as a producer.
See this Picasa album for all the photos I uploaded.