Today in Intro to Media class, we’re going to talk about ways in which the Internet will likely transform our lives in the future. We’ll also discuss virtual reality and what we’re not doing because we’re online all the time.
The Pew Research Center in March released a report called Digital Life in 2025. The report predicts both positive and negative impacts of the Internet on our lives. Below are some of the scenarios, taken verbatim from the report:
More hopeful view:
- Information sharing over the Internet will be so effortlessly interwoven into daily life that it will become invisible, flowing like electricity, often through machine intermediaries.
- The spread of the Internet will enhance global connectivity that fosters more planetary relationships and less ignorance.
- The Internet of Things, artificial intelligence, and big data will make people more aware of their world and their own behavior.
- Augmented reality and wearable devices will be implemented to monitor and give quick feedback on daily life, especially tied to personal health.
- Political awareness and action will be facilitated and more peaceful change and public uprisings like the Arab Spring will emerge. Continue reading