Today in Introduction to Mass Communication, we’re doing to talk about social media and future of the news gathering. Links:
- Orange County Register hiring dozens of reporters
- Did Facebook give Democrats the upper hand?
- Bleacher Report
- Knight Foundation
- Pulitzer Center
- Too Young to Wed
Questions for discussion:
- How have digital technology and the Internet disrupted traditional news media organizations?
- How have media organizations responded?
- What is the role of the media in our democracy?
- What is the driving force behind most media organizations?
- Are for-profit business models the best way to gather and distribute news?
- Give some examples of non-profit journalism organizations?
- What are citizen journalists?
Download writing assignment, due Nov. 21.